You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights for June 17, 2019
Canada's warmest welcome ®* July 7 2020
Council Meeting Highlights for June 17, 2019
2020 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council Meeting Schedule
OFFICE CLOSED (2020)
Osoyoos Festival Society Releases “Virtual Canada Day” Video
The ART Gallery Osoyoos Open July 1
Council Meeting Highlights for June 17, 2019
Click on button to watch the video of the Annual General Meeting, Regular Open, and Public Hearing meetings.
- Mayor’s Message.
- Council reported on 2018 activities.
- Directors presented their sections of the 2018 Annual Report
- Birgit Arnstein expressed her appreciation, as a member of the public and member of various committees, for how warm and receiving staff and council are when she asks questions.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Mayor McKortoff and Brock Paton from the Osoyoos Traditional Archery School presented two National gold medals and a silver Provincial medal to archery students.
- Council directed administration to send a letter of support for MP Dan Albas’ Criminal Code Amendment Bill C-447.
- Revenue Anticipation Borrowing Bylaw No. 1352, 2019 was adopted. This bylaw authorizes the Municipality to borrow up to $1,500,000.00 to meet current expenditures and pay amounts to meet the municipalities taxing obligations.
- Off-Street Parking Amendment Bylaw No. 1274.04, 2019 was adopted. This bylaw allows the parking of Recreational Vehicles for a maximum of 7 days, and would allow the parking of utility trailers for the duration of special events in Town, in the boat trailer parking lot. RV’s would require special permit from the town and both will require payment of the required parking fees. Approximately 5 – 6 RV parking spots will be made available on the west end of the boat trailer parking lot and will be signed appropriately.
- Council Indemnity Amendment Bylaw No. 1345, 2019 was adopted. This amendment sets the benchmark for loss of stipend for a Council member as the missing of two consecutive regularly scheduled meetings (or 30 days absence from duties – whichever is greater) without leave of Council.
- Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 1230.23, 2019 and Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.122, 2019 were read for a first and second time. If approved these amendments would allow for the creation of three new single family homes at 6801, 6805, and 6809 Nighthawk Drive. Council also set a Public Hearing for July 15th, 2019 at 4:00 pm in Council Chambers.
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.121, 2019 was read for a first and second time. If approved this amendment would allow for a site specific cannabis production facility at 11609 115th Street. Council also set a Public Hearing for July 15th, 2019 at 4:15 pm in Council Chambers.
- Administrative Fees and Charges Amendment Bylaw No. 1331.01, 2019 was read for a first, second, and third time. If approved this amendment would add BC Provincial Nominee Program Application Fees to the bylaw.
- Council resolved that the Municipal Pension Plan Board of Trustees be requested to approve, effective July 2, 2019, the enrollment of eligible firefighter employees of the Town of Osoyoos into Group 5.
- Council approved the Licence to Use Agreement with the Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Club for a term of 5 years commencing October 1, 2019.
- Council appointed Kirsty Mcinnes as a Bylaw Enforcement Officer for the purpose of enforcement of municipal bylaws for the Town of Osoyoos.
- Council did not approve the request from Desert Park Exhibition Society to waive water and sewer fees for Desert Park.
- Council did not authorize nor support the ALR Exclusion application for 4107 36th Avenue proceeding to the ALC. Council instead moved to include the application as part of the overall Official Community Plan review process.
- Council approved the Osoyoos Golf Club’s request of $2000.00 for reusable water bottles to be supplied to participants of the 2019 Canadian Women’s Mid-Amateur and Senior Championship.
- CAO Romanko announced the hiring of Dave McMahon as the new Fire Chief, with a start date of July 8th.
- Councillor Rhodes encouraged everyone to attend the Dog Park Grand Opening on June 19th at 5:00 pm.
- Councillor Rhodes reminded everyone to conserve water.
- Councillor Bennett attended the School District #53 meeting.
- Mayor McKortoff reminded everyone to pay their Property Taxes, which are due on July 2nd.
- Mayor McKortoff encouraged everyone to take part in the 71st Annual Cherry Fiesta on July 1st.
- Mayor McKortoff announced that Allan Chabot will be the new CAO for the Town of Osoyoos as of July 29th, taking over for Barry Romanko who will be retiring.
Public Hearing at 4:00pm
- A Public Hearing was held in the Council Chambers on June 17, 2019 at 4:00 pm for Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.112, 2019. If adopted this Bylaw Amendment would allow for the creation of one new single family home and a strata development consisting of 8 duplex lots located at the top of the Dividend Ridge subdivision.
Public hearing at 4:30pm
- A Public Hearing was held in the Council Chambers on June 17, 2019 at 4:30 pm for Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.120, 2019. If adopted this Bylaw Amendment would allow for a site specific cannabis production facility to be located at 11201 115th Street.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 am on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 pm to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Plan an Event
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Claim my Homeowners Grant (HOG)
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Pay by Credit Card
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit an Event
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam